Friday, February 25, 2011

EC and Baby legs

EC
For those of you who don't know, i'm into the whole cloth diaper thing. As soon as my sister told me about cloth diapers, I was hooked. I researched just about everything to do with cloth diapers and found one brand that I thought would suit us perfectly. They have been great. I LOVE my cloth diapers. i love how they look and how i'm saving money and the environment. Despite my love for cloth diapers, i have been intrigued by something called Elimination communication, EC for short.  Basically babies are born with the ability to communicate their needs to us, and it's up to us to meet those needs. When they cry we feed them, when they're cold we warm them up, when they're tired we help them sleep, when they need to eliminate... we stick them in diapers and let them sit in their own waste until it's convenient for us to change them. I'm not saying all of us who live in the western culture are bad parents for diapering our children and not meeting one of their needs. Diapers are convenient and sometimes a necessity. I have gotten great use out of my cloth diapers, despite hearing about EC before Katie was born. My biggest reason for not starting this sooner was that It's cold in Canada, therefore this would be impractical. In the past week, I've started to research EC again, looking into when babies normally need to eliminate, what parents do while traveling, how to get started and of course... what about nighttime? So yesterday I decided to start EC with Katie and see if she's given up on trying to give me cues or not. We managed to catch all the poops in the toilet, and stay dry through each nap and pee in the toilet after each nap. However the pee's in between weren't very successful. Last night when we came back form Walmart, I asked Elijah to see if Katie needed to pee. not sure about what he was doing, but being supportive of the idea, he gave it a try. From upstairs i could hear him saying " Pssssss Psssss " followed by " Hey, it worked!" Later that night while I was at french class, Katie was playing with Elijah and and doing some motions that I told him to look for when she needs to poop. Something clicked and he remembered what i had said, checked her diaper and sure enough she was starting to poop. So Elijah was able to catch his first pee last night, as well as a half poop :) Today is the second day Katie has woken up with a dry diaper in the morning ( i've started changing her diaper at feeds) and been able to have her morning pee in the toilet. The day so far has gone just as well as yesterday, except that I'm keeping track of when she pees, poops, naps and feeds now to see if there's a pattern since she isn't cueing for pees. Check these sites out if you're interested

ourbabyoflove.com
tribalbaby.org
diaperfreebaby.org

Baby Legs!!!
If you don't know what baby legs are, you will shortly. They are another baby product that I LOVE. http://www.babylegs.com/  I'm all for spending money of cute baby things, but 12 a pair? seriously? So I have yet to buy even one pair of these adorable baby leg warmers. Since Katie is crawling around now, and hardly ever wears pants in the house, her little legs and knees were getting red and very dry. So, I looked it up, and turns out they're super easy to make! http://littlenannygoat.blogspot.com/2009/03/babylegs.html  is the best tutorial I found. We went to Walmart and I paid 3$ for a pair of womens knee high socks, and with a total of five minutes of work, I had baby legs! i still have a few more pairs to make, but I think they turned out wonderfully! They stay on well too because of the cuff on the bottom. They're super cute and will make great baby shower gifts.
In the order that they were made, I tried out the black ones on Izzy and found that the cuffs needed to be bigger, so the next two were made a little bit larger. Not bad for 9$ eh? Sure beats 36$

No comments:

Post a Comment