Thursday, May 26, 2011

An EC update

I realize that it has been quite sometime since I've updated my blog, so I'd like you to know that I haven't forgotten about you! Husband, daughter and i were in Ontario for a week for my niece's first birthday party. I did manage to finish her quilt before we left, and was more or less pleased with the outcome. I have pictures, but I'll save that for a later post. Today's post is about our small encouraging successes with Elimination Communication.

The first one I'd like to share with you is actually a BIG success, I was very proud of our little girl. It started the Saturday morning when we were leaving the hotel room in Edmonton to catch our flight. It was around 5 am, and we were up having breakfast, after another dry diaper night. (They're becoming more frequent now)I put Katie back in a diaper in case of a miss, I don't think the hotel staff would appreciate pee on their carpet, then we heard a little grunting. I took off her diaper, which had a small pre-poop pee in it, and sat her on the potty, where she happily did her business. After her poop, on went a clean diaper and we tidied up and headed for the airport. At the airport, Katie went for a pee in a bathroom toilet. On the plane, Katie went for a pee in the airplane toilet. At the restaurant in the Hamilton airport, Katie went for a pee in the bathroom toilet.  I did get a few funny looks, but also had a discussion with the flight attendants about cloth diaper brands and ECing. They like Katie so much that they gave her 8 packs of cookies...I still have some. Once we arrived at my parents house, I tried taking Katie for a pee, but she was distracted and so wouldn't go. She peed in her diaper shortly after. So, In total, Katie stayed in the same dry diaper from our hotel room that morning, all the way to my parents house that afternoon. And people say that EC doesn't work.

Another small success was yesterday when Katie and I went for a walk to the library and returned in a dry diaper, which was removed and she was placed on her potty where she happily went for a long pee.

It seems to me that we have more successes while out and about. Katie seems to hold her pee longer, and is more likely to wait for me to give her an opportunity. While at home or just out playing, she still wants nothing to do with potty-tunities. So I have a bit of a hard time trying to keep her entertained long enough to stay on her potty sometimes.

Nighttime was starting to look up. She was feeding two or three times a night and would normally pee at each feed, leaving her in a dry diaper all night. Lately however, she has been waking more often, not necessarily to feed, and peeing in her bucket less and in her diaper more. This I'm sure is due to her and I being sick, but it's annoying, because now she doesn't like sleeping wet, so if she wets her diaper, she isn't likely to stay asleep for very long, until you change it. Of course there's nights when we get lazy and just feed her and hope she goes back to sleep, but then we get ticked off because she's not sleeping well, which means neither of us are sleeping well. Then we change her diaper, and magically she snuggles herself  down and back to sleep.

So overall things are going well, I'm really hoping that  we are either diaper free or mostly diaper free by December, so that we can start ECing with our baby as soon as he or she is born. I doubt she'll regress back into diapers with a new baby around, since the new baby will hardly be in diapers. oh, by the way, baby number two is due on December 30th! which makes me 9 weeks now :)

1 comment: