Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sloppy Joes

Today is a double post day! We've been making fantastic dinners all week, and I thought I'd share. Last night was chicken parm on a bun and the night before was beef stroganoff. I'll share those recipes later, but tonight's is sloppy joes. These are no manwiches, they're homemade and delicious! Try it out sometime!

1Tbls oil ( I don't use the oil)
1 Large chopped onion
1 garlic clove minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 lb ground beef
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups tomato puree
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tbls Worcestershire sauce ( we omit this because I don't own any)
1/2 cup water
1/2-2 tsp Tabasco sauce ( I also omit this because I don't own any)
dash of cayenne pepper

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until lightly browned, anout five minutes. Add the garlic and chili powder, cook for 1 minute.

2. Add beef, brown sugar, salt and pepper. reduce heat to medium and cook.

3. Stir in tomato puree, ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper.

4. Reduce heat to low, Simmer until slightly thickened. serve on a bun :)

Now I think this is slightly backwards, so we brown the beef first, drain it then add the onion and continue on with the instructions. Mmmm I can't wait for dinner tonight! everything this week makes great leftovers, that is, if there is any left over!

No comments:

Post a Comment